Friday, June 10, 2011

Experience a sample of the Red Centre's capital "from within"

Since we got back to civilisation after a month traveling off road, Oceane and I almost set a permanent address at the children's ward of Alice Springs Hospital!
Referring to the doctors, we'll spend at least one week there if not two and I will have to prove them that I could handle without nurses if we want to leave soon.

While Oceane is recovering from her very bad burns on her face, scalp, back and hand, my fingers are gently finding an efficient way to take care of my daughter's wounds following the nurses instructions. My heart is slowly getting better as my tongue could liberate emotions through long conversations with my mum based in France.  But my head is too bored by the enclosed rooms so it is filtering all kind of informations around me and observing Alice Springs from its inside! 

I gathered lot of personal feeling of the town chatting with the hospital staff, whether from Canada, India, Grand Britain and Oz! Julia who arrived two months ago said to me that it is like working in the third world, while another nurse who is leaving after 9years service would miss the dry climate of the red centre (and also the hot air conditioning that I'm currently breathing) and will suffer the sticky feeling of Darwin's humid weather.
80% of the patients in the ward are Aboriginal and believe me, you can smell it! Someone diplomatically explained me that in their culture the  water is too precious to be used as shower! It is also very difficult to approach those women with their sick bubba in the ward as they never answer to a G'day or my smile when crossing in corridors. Also my ears hardly catch their language as they use only one tone! 
No real interaction with them is possible for Oceane and me: there is a generous outdoor playground and two different rooms with plenty of toys for the little ones, but we often are the only one to take advantage of them! It is also questioning to see the aboriginal adults (carer and mum) taking part at the activities offered by the "school room" and coloring animal copies in a silent and in a fully consciousness attitude while letting their injured kiddy do what they want! It seems that they are spending their time at the kid's ward doing now what they couldn't do in their childhood.
With Patrick's help, I escaped Oceane's jail one afternoon time and visited all the art galleries of the city centre. There, I experienced another world where aboriginal artists are highly recognized and respected. Their inspirations coming from the "Dreaming" are significant for all art amateur and the story given to every masterpiece rise their value. I might get charmed and buy one, too!      

3 comments:

ULUBAER said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ULUBAER said...

Hey anh dao and patrik
I just read the terrible news. I hope ocean is ok.!

It must have been horrible to have this happen in the desert.

Hope the little angel can recover soon and and you reach the other end safely!

Greetings from cold and rainy Sydney

Our thoughts are with you

Chris

Ursula said...

Thinking a lot of you all! Hope Oceane is recovering well.

Big hug from Khartoum, yet another desert city

Ursula