Thursday, September 4, 2008

Outbursts from a new Mum

“Motherhood, or at least early motherhood, is not a Huggies ad or an Anne Geddes calendar. It’s bloody and watery: the postpartum bleeding and stitches in the nether regions; the sleepless tears of twilight feeds when, like a zombified cow, you try to latch a recalcitrant mouth onto a bruised nipple.”

This very true comment picked out from a five pages paper -that took me a week to read trough- gives you an idea of my two first weeks as a new mum! Of course I do enjoy my parenting and the first smiles that my two sweeties babies seem to do! But even if we were prepared to settle a crying baby (or two), nobody told me in the antenatal class that would mind settle a baby seven times a day!
Being a double Mum is a dedication to duty! Nowadays I'm able to give you some numbers: 24h hours means about 10 hours breastfeeding, 2 hours changing nappies, 45 min. extracting my milk and stock it in the freezer, 30 min. for myself, one more meal in the middle of the night with a total of 3 hours cooking and eating and the rest for sleeping. I'm not able to do any housework, even administrative stuff (that's great to have a man at home, thanks Padi that you took some holidays to do it)...but I do write some e-mail, facebook and skype with a baby in the arm on my Swiss medicine ball...this is my way to say hello to the world from home!

So-Why should I complain? Life is filling me with joy, cry and hope!!!

No comments: