Besides spending as much time as possible to catch up with our families, we enjoyed the wonderful August weather, the late sunsets, catching up with loads of friends, and attending several weddings. In this period of the year, everyone seemed so relaxed, it was just great.
Of course every holiday comes to an end sometimes, and they always end up being too short. It was hard to say goodbye to all, especially to my grandmother, but also to our closer family who again only through skype will be able to see the babies growing week after week. At least, now there is skype – 33 years ago my grandmother didn’t get to see me at all the first year I was born and raised in Australia. That’s why I am so happy Laetitia and Oceane managed to see their greatgrandmother. For her it must have been like closing a circle after a long lifetime, as she was born as a twin herself!
Greatgrandmother Anni died shortly after our departure – the day on which we celebrated Laetitia and Oceane’s first birthday back at Maroubra Beach. It was like she’d finally freed herself in a way she could join two events at the same time: As a matter of fact, that same day my dear uncle and godfather celebrated his 50th wedding anniversary back in Switzerland. We couldn’t return to the funeral, but whenever I read the memoires my Pap had prepared for that day, it makes me think back with tears and a smile at the same time.
Laetitia and Oceane are one year old, now. Oceane learnt to walk at my sister’s place in Aarau, and Laetitia did her first three steps at Geneva airport while we waited to depart. They have become very attentive and respond to almost everything I do by trying to copy. Though I now have to start being more careful about what I let out, I am really enjoying every minute with them. This is not only because we received a very nice bottle of champagne from a Qantas staff member for the kids turning 1 during the flight back to Australia.
Links to more impressions of this memorable time are available below (Flickr slide shows):
No comments:
Post a Comment